To Appomattox and Beyond

by sbattles | September 20th, 2010

This part of To Appomattox and Beyond was quite interesting. I found it very informative on what exactly happened to soldiers after the war was over. For starters, I had no idea it was former Confederate soldiers that started the KKK. I didn’t know it was initially a social fraternity that turned into a gathering of white men who were trying to keep white supremacy.

We had also talked about how much wealthier the North was from the South, but I didn’t know it translated into the soldiers pensions. I feel like although the South and North were still kinda divided the Federal government would have paid the same pensions to both soldiers. Yes, the South was poorer than the North even after the war, but why couldn’t they help the South out? Logue even mentions something about it. “These developments were concentrated in the North,  but the South felt their affects.” (Logue, To Appomattox and Beyond. p. 118)

I found this book very informational. I like how it wrapped everything up. Logue was able to finish the story by telling us that the Spanish-American War helped heal the emotional scars the soldiers had received;  and also that, no matter what side the soldier was fighting for, they considered it their war.  With this statement, Logue thus ended the story of the Civil war.

Previous Posts

Most Recent Posts