Wages of War, Greatest Generation

by kallen3 | December 2nd, 2010

In the Epilogue of Wages of War, Severo and Milford really get at the heart of their argument.  It is apparent that they believe that the Government should be fully aware of the consequences of war and be ready to handle that upon wars end.  For most of the wars veterans have had negative homecomings, with the one exception of WWII.  They talk about how people nowadays do not fully understand what it means to go to war.  Many people only remember the positive sides to war, like in WWII.  I think Severo and Milford are right about these people because Americans have chosen to only remember the good times of war.  In the final paragraph Severo and Milford pose the idea that our Government should focus more on diplomacy instead of trying to instigate war.  I agree with them to an extent.  I agree that our Government should be aware of the consequences of war and they should try to make it a positive experience for veterans returning from war.  On the other hand I think that most of our actions have been justifiable for declaring war.

In the Introduction of The Greatest Generation Comes Home it takes a different approach to describing veterans.  In the early years of our country and still to this day, there is a certain respect for men or women that have served in the military.  It talks about former president’s who use their service in the military to help them win elections.  This introduction shows a trend that the treatment of veterans improves as we move from war to war.  I definitely see a trend for the treatment of veterans.  I think that presently, veterans are treated better than they used to be.  Now, many people respect veterans and recognize them for their service.

Previous Posts

Most Recent Posts

Blogroll